[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini Mental Ray Setup

Jan Walter jwalter at d2.com
Tue Feb 28 12:52:27 EST 2006

http://www.wahn.demon.co.uk/ShaderWriting/Filmakademie/index.html
http://www.wahn.demon.co.uk/ShaderWriting/filmakademie.pdf

... contains some help with how to compile and where to put the files ...

... and Mark is right. I use:

 > mids -l ~/houdini8.0/otls/OPmentalray.otl *.mi

... to install all my (.mi) header files into one library which can be
installed within Houdini via File->Install Operator Type Library ...

With .mi header file I mean a file like this:

declare shader
        color "mi_dd_default_surface" (
                scalar          "Ka",
                scalar          "Kd"
        )
        version 1
        apply material
end declare

Which is NOT a .mi file you would render from the command line BUT a
description of your shader (name, parameters, type, etc.). For Maya you
can use similar header files (with comments for default values), for XSI
you would have to create a SPDL file, but we are dealing with Houdini
here. So "mids" uses those header files to create the OTL library which
will place your shaders into the proper section of SHOPs ...

I hope that helps ...

Cheers,

Jan