[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini Mental Ray Setup

mstory at xion.org mstory at xion.org
Tue Feb 28 10:44:57 EST 2006

Hello,

It's much easier to make the MR shader declaration into an OTL (use the "-l"
switch to the mids command) instead of making a .ds file and editing the SHOP
surface file.  Then you can intall the OTL just like any other OTL, makes it
much easier to manage your shader assets.

If you are writing your own MR shader, you'll have to compile it and make sure
the DSO/DLL is in a location the MR can find it.  The MR SHOP simply allows
Houdini to insert the correct shader strings into the .mi file when you
generate the .mi file from a MR ROP or when start an MR render from Houdini.

As for MR shader writing, refer to the "Programming Mental Ray" book for
details.  If you are wanting MR to compile your shader "on the fly" at render
time, just make sure the compiler/linker is in your path.  But I prefer to
compile and link the shader myslef so MR runs a bit faster.

Hope that helps.

--Mark

P.S. I'm on the road and may not be able to answer your reply for a day
or two.