[Sidefx-houdini-list] Anisotropic work around?

Robert Magee rmagee at sidefx.com
Mon Feb 20 09:49:19 EST 2006

Peter Riel wrote:

>Another issue for me is also why the rendered output from a subdivide sop, and
>a polygonal model with 'Polygons as Subdivision Surfaces' turned on in the
>render tab has different output. But that's another story...
>
>Anyway.... back to banging my head against the wall... wohoo ;)

When you use a subdivide SOP you are simply making more polygons. You
are tesselating the model without achieving real subdivision surface
rendering. The "Polygons as Subdivision Surfaces" render option actually
treats the model like a subdivision surface and renders it with Mantra's
micropolygon rendering (no triangles - no tesselation necessary). The
goal of the subdivide SOP is to add detail to your model or to preview
what the "Polygons as Subdivision Surfaces" render option does. In the
second case you would set the display flag on the subdivide SOP but the
render flag on the SOP just in front of the subdivide. (since the
subdivide SOP isn't needed to get the right results.

Robert Magee
Product Marketing Manager
Side Effects Software Inc.