[Sidefx-houdini-list] UV Gradients

Ben Schrijvers Ben.Schrijvers at framestore-cfc.com
Sat Feb 18 08:13:44 EST 2006

Hi Mario,

Maybe you need to solve this in Sop's before the geometry goes to the
shader.
That means calculating the local X and Y vector for each point in VEX.
The vectors should interpolate the same as UV so no penalty's for doing
it in Sop's
I've got the feeling you can use the neighbour VEX functions for this so
you have to build a VEX Sop node.
I don't know exaclty how but it means looping though all neighbours and
using U to weight each P to get a vector in V.
Then a bit of normalization and maybe a cross product here and there to
get a nice (90 degree angle) coordinate system.

Can you see where I'm going? I know you can! But else let me know..

cheers,
benS