[Sidefx-houdini-list] Row of books, procedurally

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 15:06:10 EST 2006

Hello,
	Here's a challenge, that my little brain can't deal with. I want to
create a row of books, with random widths, but they are all "touching"
each other. I'm sure, sure, sure there is a straightforward way to do
this with the Copy SOP, but I can't get it.
	Basically, if I have a Box SOP representing a single book, Y and Z
scale unimportant, but X is 1 unit wide, I want to copy that book in X,
having each copy be a random size in X (but greater or equal to 1), and
each copy transformed in X so it sits nicely with no gap next to the
previous book.
	I've tried using no template input on the Copy SOP, just using
expressions in Transform and Scale, or stamping values into a Transform
SOP above. I'm sure this can be done, but I can't get it.
	I've also tried taking a single point, and copying it, stamping an
attribute that holds the value used to transform it, then stamping a
scale into the Box SOP that way. Again, can't get it.
	Any help appreciated :) I look forward to multiple ways to accomplish it :)

Cheers,

Peter B