[Sidefx-houdini-list] First houdini book

Caleb J. Howard calebh at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 5 03:28:47 EST 2006

If you posted anything of mine, from the book or otherwise, I am
flattered, and grateful.  If you posted Andrew's metaphor, check the
attribution.  I like the metaphor, but it ain't mine.

Cheers

-caleb

P.S.  I notice Andrew sign's "Cheers" as well, which managed to confuse
me about whether I'd written his post or not.  Maybe I did...

James Rutherford wrote:

> that's great Caleb....I just posted that on our school forum for my
> students to read.  We've been spending more time on Houdini lately and
> hopefully this will provide some inspiration to them.
> Jim Rutherford
> www.tradigital.ca
>

> Andrew D Lyons wrote:
>
>> Yep - good work Will and co. Following a quick skim I thought it was
>> comprehensive and well written.
>>
>> Just quietly - I find the prospect of having to code all my shots in
>> a text
>> editor intimidating. With high end work it seems there's a lot of
>> that for
>> non-Houdini users.
>>
>> Here's some thoughts (inspired by Caleb Howard's recently published
>> writing)
>> for all those feeling indecision about whether to learn Houdini:
>>
>> It's good to fall in love with 3D software that doesn't start destroying
>> your life a year or so later. Houdini may not present itself like a
>> woman in
>> an Amsterdam window. It may not intoxicate you with the joys of instant
>> gratification like some other packages. But when the mirage of that
>> initial
>> honeymoon is over it doesn't leave you at some hellish impasse with a
>> life-long scourge either. When you choose to learn a 3D package, you're
>> choosing something that you will potentially spend decades of your life
>> with. Although it's tempting, you don't want to make a long-term
>> choice like
>> that based on the promise of easy initial gains. As with many things,
>> that
>> which seems daunting at first usually has greater promise for the
>> long term
>> future. Also, the facade of simplicity proffered by other tools may have
>> delivered gains in the short term, but it can end up being the very
>> bane of
>> your existence in the long term. If you're undecided about whether to
>> make
>> the investment to learn Houdini, my advice would be to pursue gui-based,
>> full-blown proceduralism like your life depends on it. There's plenty of
>> high end companies that will quickly respect your decision with
>> employment
>> working on feature films.
>>
>> Cheers
>>

>> On 03/02/06, Ziggy Uszkurat <ziggy at zigzagfilms.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Chris
>>>
>>> I just got Will's book -- along with many others, I can only give it
>>> the
>>> highest endorsement. It's not just a very good book about Houdini,
>>> it is
>>> also very well written, concise and clear textbook. I suspect even a
>>> hardened Houdini user will find a lot of gems -- however, for us
>>> Houdini
>>> virgins, the amount and quality of information is outstanding. And,
>>> no, it
> [...]

-caleb

       calebh at adelphia.net (home) - caleb at imageworks.com (work)
      http://howards.vigilante.net/Caleb/Personal/CalebMain.html
 "The wind is low, the birds will sing that you are part of everything.
          Dear Prudence, won't you open up your eyes."