[Sidefx-houdini-list] dPds, dPdt troubleshooting...

Dan Seddon dan.seddon at framestore-cfc.com
Thu Aug 31 06:32:24 EDT 2006

In the case of mantra s and t is the primitive  parameterization - so
this can be discontinuous from one face to another in the case of
poly/subd's. I don't use mantra so much at the mo, but in prman it's
often better to find the derivative of your texture coordinates if you
want them to be fairly continuous (as much as your uvs are anyway). But,
there are easier ways if you're just after vectors for an anisotropic
shader - you could take a cross products of your normals with some other
vector (either fixed or varying by noise in some way), though this can
be problematic with deforming geometry. An adaptation of this is to
"comb" a vector with the Comb Sop and pass this to your shader (you can
orthogonalize  it  at render time if you like),  this enables you to use
Houdini to perform the necessary deformations and, in the case of
something like a brushed steel shader control, gives you more control
over the look. Use the AttribReorient Sop to move your combed vectors
with a deforming object.

Cheers

Dan