[Sidefx-houdini-list] About Learning Houdini

Peter Robbinson probbins at corefa.com
Mon Aug 28 08:26:59 EDT 2006

In the years I've been teaching Houdini the key element that is
essential to have students understand is proceduralism. I focus
on getting people to understand that and once that is accomplished most
everything else is fairly straightforward.

The essential element for why this is important has to do with the
attitude of the new user. All come to learn with tight pre-conceptions
of what 3d digital animation is all about, and in one form or another
are overwhelmed at discovering just how complex the job really is.
All come to class ready to build an epic and discover that it is
impossible. Many, rather than abandoning their initial ideas for
something more
sensible, reach for the easiest way to continue with their grand idea.
My main objection to the Maya like interface has to with how it stunts
student
creativity, how it hides possibilities behind a facade of easy use. It
is easy to make a quick pretty picture in maya, fooling the new user
into thinking
they've accomplished lots. Many never move beyond the end of the slider
range.

Proceduralism allows the student to relax and explore without undoing
their work. The new user has a hard time starting over, they've worked so
hard to build their first models. With Houdini they don't have to, they
can keep their first crappy models, until they gain confidence. It is
easy for them
to see their own growth by comparing the various chains of nodes they built.

Over the years I've found those new users I've taught with Houdini are
able to maintain their own, budding, artistic integrity far better than
with any other
3d application. This is enormously important considering just how hard
it is for a new artist to break into this business and how many supposed
artists are
graduating each year.

I've never found it hard to lead new users to an understanding of Houdini.

PeterR