[Sidefx-houdini-list] About Learning Houdini

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 03:54:09 EDT 2006

On 8/26/06, Garman Herigstad <garman_lists at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I would like to make a statement about learning
> Houdini.
Yes Garman, from my experience in Aula Tematica the most challenging
thing in learning Houdini are the begginings.
Houdini is strange for simpler things and very good at complex stuff.
I think that the most important is to show new users the philosphy
behind Houdini with very simple excersises and rather than try to make
the same things somebody can make in his/her package X, try to do
thing "ala" Houdini.
I my opinion, your Gnomon DVD is great, but a little hard for new users.
It is great in the sense that anybody with a very little knowledge
about Houdini can learn very interesting stuff; but I have found it
little tricky for new users.
I always recommend your DVD and Will's book to my students, and I have
received these opinions from them. So I think that the new getting
started videos are a better option for new users.
Here at Aula Tematica I am preparing some tutos too, mainly to show
Houdini to Maya, LightWave or 3D Studio users hare at the school, I
hope that the school managers allows me to publish some of this tutos
in the future.

> For my Gnomon DVD, I got many nice compliments about
> how helpful it was.   And I did get a few comments
> like, "Wow, what a waste of money.  I thought this guy
> was going to pull out the big guns."   Just this
> morning I posted six (of eight) absolute beginner
> getting-started tutorials off my website.
>
> In my view, I have found the problem with learning
> Houdini, or computer geneterated effects in general,
> is that it is difficult for the beginner to get
> started.  There is so much excellent material for
> advanced users, especially on odforce.net (thank you,
> thank you, thank you so much!)
>
> But there is not much good information out there for
> people who just want to get started.  And there are SO
> MANY good people out there who want to start using
> Houdini but don't know where to get started.
>
> Therefore, I am in the process of trying to make it
> VERY EASY for ALL THOSE GREAT PEOPLE to start being
> able to use Houdini.
>
> If we have a good foundation of how to use the
> product, then it will be easier for us to grow and
> build on that foundation.  And that's been missing not
> only for Houdini but for visual effects in general.
>
> When I make most of these tutorials I want to run at a
> much faster level.  But with teaching, I find out that
> I lose people because I jump over critical steps.
>
> The plan is to help build up that foundation so people
> are comfortable with the interface and method of
> thinking.
>
> Then, I hope, many people will start running for the
> deep stuff with Houdini.
>
> -Garman
>

> --- Garman Herigstad <garman_lists at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>

> > I'm in the process of posting some new tutorials for
> > absolute beginners.
> >
> > These are good for anyone wanting to learn Houdini
> > anywhere, anytime (except for the past.)
> >

> http://tutorials.vizyacky.com/vizy_tutorials_houdini/vizy_tut_houdini_getting_started_A.html
> >
> > If you already know Houdini "STAY AWAY FROM THESE
> > BABIES."
> >
> > -Garman

Un saludo
Best Regards