Vex Shaders (was Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] point sop color)

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Sun Aug 27 07:03:40 EDT 2006

Hi Garman,
     Yeah, definitely useful. Though, if there were more training
materials available that'd be a good solution too :)
     I guess what I'd hope would be a set of standard shaders (like
Super Material, Layered Surface etc plus the Gallery ones) that are
really all derived from the same VOPnet, and that VOPnet is available
to those that want to customize shaders even more. That way, every
single shader would take Cd and Alpha and other standard attributes,
every single shader would have common deep raster outputs so (only if
you wanted) you could get each light's contribution into a separate
deep raster for diffuse, specular etc. Any raytraced reflections or
refractions would have their own deep raster outputs, subsurface
scattering would be built in and have its own deep raster outputs per
light, all shaders would have Ambient Occlusion built in, with the
(easy) ability to unwrap each section and create AO maps, which would
also be built into the shader etc etc. This would require some
additional SOPs (OTLs) to make the unwrapping fast and easy.
    These are all things I have done for myself, and with a bit more
time I could make them production-usable, IMHO. I just can't afford
the time to do it for free, since I have a family to support :)

Cheers,

Peter B