Vex Shaders (was Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] point sop color)

Garman Herigstad garman_lists at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 26 18:28:07 EDT 2006

While the current base of default vex shaders could have better rendering characterists, I have discovered there is a gem in them.

For the "I want to learn shader writing" crowd out there, you can RMB-Type Properties on any of the VEX Shops and find the code used to write the shader in the vex "Renderman Interface" style of code.

I could slap myself for not knowing this earlier.  But now that I know it's there, I'll slap myself happy.

This is a super great tool for learning how to write shaders in the traditional code-style.   Not to say the VOPs style is bad.  Not, VOPs is good.  But both are great.

RMB-Type Properties.  I love it!

Floyd Gillis <floyd at afcg.com> wrote: I love this idea.... it would be great for all us "non-swimmers" who
haven't dived into VOP's yet.  (I've waded into the "pool" many times
but always get that drowning feeling and have to get out).

One suggestion... don't chuck any existing shaders before they've
positively been replaced by the VOP based ones.

Floyd