[Sidefx-houdini-list] About Learning Houdini

Garman Herigstad garman_lists at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 26 13:50:58 EDT 2006

I would like to make a statement about learning
Houdini.

For my Gnomon DVD, I got many nice compliments about
how helpful it was.   And I did get a few comments
like, "Wow, what a waste of money.  I thought this guy
was going to pull out the big guns."   Just this
morning I posted six (of eight) absolute beginner
getting-started tutorials off my website.

In my view, I have found the problem with learning
Houdini, or computer geneterated effects in general,
is that it is difficult for the beginner to get
started.  There is so much excellent material for
advanced users, especially on odforce.net (thank you,
thank you, thank you so much!)

But there is not much good information out there for
people who just want to get started.  And there are SO
MANY good people out there who want to start using
Houdini but don't know where to get started.

Therefore, I am in the process of trying to make it
VERY EASY for ALL THOSE GREAT PEOPLE to start being
able to use Houdini.

If we have a good foundation of how to use the
product, then it will be easier for us to grow and
build on that foundation.  And that's been missing not
only for Houdini but for visual effects in general.

When I make most of these tutorials I want to run at a
much faster level.  But with teaching, I find out that
I lose people because I jump over critical steps.

The plan is to help build up that foundation so people
are comfortable with the interface and method of
thinking.

Then, I hope, many people will start running for the
deep stuff with Houdini.

-Garman

--- Garman Herigstad <garman_lists at sbcglobal.net>

http://tutorials.vizyacky.com/vizy_tutorials_houdini/vizy_tut_houdini_getting_started_A.html

> If you already know Houdini "STAY AWAY FROM THESE
> BABIES."
>
> -Garman

Garman Herigstad
If you want to contact me directly, use:
garman @ vizyacky.com

Garman's Visual Effects Academy
VizyAcky.com