[Sidefx-houdini-list] Standardised VOP-based lighting system

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Sat Aug 26 02:19:10 EDT 2006

So, just throwing this out here, if, and this is a big IF right now,
if someone, let's say myself, had mostly already written such a system
for Mantra and VOPs, but it needed documentation and examples and
training materials, if that was the case (and this sentence wasn't so
long) what would people be willing to pay for it, if anything, from a
3rd party supplier, such as, again hypothetically, myself?

Bearing in mind that, again completely hypothetically at this point,
such a system would be beta-testable for October->December 2006, all
features would have to be locked down by October and support would be
close to zero (i.e. bug fixes but no promise of new features).

Also bearing in mind that by purchasing this you get all source code
for the VOPs so you can extend it at your leisure, or not.

If enough people were able to pay for it so I could eat for a few
months, I could make it an open-source repository so that people's
mods get sent back to me, and I roll them into the system, making
those available to all, so that standards are maintained rather than
everyone taking it and it branching off into a million directions.

All hypothetically of course, since I do need to support the family
and I haven't had a job for a year now :)

Cheers,

Peter B