[Sidefx-houdini-list] motionbuilder->Houdini

Ezekiel M ezequielm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 25 02:15:38 EDT 2006

.bvh files do contain the bone heirachy, and it can be arbitrary. It's a
simply nested text file format. I've heard other maya/motionbuilder folk
talk about .bvh like it relates to a specific skeleton type or
something. Not true.

ive just realized.... i got the wrong impression about bvh files... ive only
work with it exporting motionbuilder animation to 3dmax... that way the
characterStudio only supports its own nameconvetion/hierarchy, i got the
convention file if someone need it, i guess that exporting a bvh from
motionbuilder would be the right thing to do and then the mcbiovision will
come handy

Hmmm.. skinning and blends included could get damn complicated. Is that
really necessary? If you have skinned and animated stuff in one package
perhaps exporting frame by frame geometry is the way to go.

the thingie about the skinning and blends is that, i usually work with
body mocap and having the skinned body become really handy at animation time
and later finetuning if it applies
and facial mocap, so i did a rig in motionbuilder that moves the
gestures/lipsync of the character according to the behavior of the optical
markers plus a "layered" control for keyframe animation
So i would be nice to have all this things going on motionbuilder and use
houdini for all the rest, in a few words... exporting the skinning and
blends, and then importing the animation, only the animation curves into the
objects

How's your perl/python?

I would love to get my hands into that, my day isnt long enough :$... if you
know about a book to slowly get me involved i will appreciate (i have never
do object oriented programming, but ive work with c and mel for over 2
years)

What do you mean specifically by mapping?

Mapping= getting the real actor motion data (from a mocap device) to the
character, motionbuilder has the character asset that lets you fine tune
almost everything, and of course that would be just the base for the
corrections of the anim

I always imagined using motionbuilder being used for animation with
basic skinned proxy geomtry, then pipe that into a fully skinned rig in
houdini for finalling. Or something.

This is actually what i do, but for keep my pipeline clean as posible, i
animate everything in motionbuilder with a highpoly count character, and
then bring the animation back to the maya
i dont know if this is the right way to the things, but it works for me for
now coz i wont be doing modeling and rig while im animating, so i keep a
straightforward pipeline

kind of a step by step "solo work mode"

and of course there is no need to mention that motionbuilder have a reeealy
smooth playback (right now im working with a 80k polys character, 39 facial
blends, and 3x 2048x2048 textures, maping body/facial mocap and facial rig
constrains, at an amazing 98fps in fullscreen.... on my old workstation)

idont know about houdini playback rates, but i think that point its a huge
thing to keep in mind

Thanks for the replys guys!
i hope asap i will get into this!!!!!!!!!

sorry for my poor english... =)