[Sidefx-houdini-list] MODO

shawn hawkins harlequingraphics at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 23:11:53 EDT 2006

I don't have a phd in anything. I started with Blender, I have used Maya, Max, Lightwave, Rhino-3d and Houdini. I love Houdini it is the most versitile program out there, and the most expensive. But sometimes I don't need to build functionality out of nodes when there is a program that already has the functionality built for me and is easier to use without the programing style variable manipulation. Also if I can get that program for a fraction of the cost ($875) I will go with that program. Also the image that I attached is very complex. It uses SSS which is built in with MODO, complex lighting including an luminescent polygon, raytracing, global illumination and depth of field blurring. I am on a 54 Mbps internet connection and with MODO 202's rendering engine, it took 5 times longer for me to download it than it took to render. I believe that the rendering time was around 3 seconds. I will still use Houdini when I need the functionality but for just about everything
 else, I will use MODO.
  I'm sorry that you took it so personal but I'm sure you will get over it.

"P. Alex Lim" <list at poh-yee.com> wrote:
  If you like it so much and it suits you best, use it. Go over to that
camp. No one here is stopping you from doing so. And before you go, the
very reason many of us loves Houdini is because we don't have to be PhD
in CS or mathematics to utilize most of its power.

Have a good day.