[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini book update

Craig Zerouni craig at sidefx.com
Mon Aug 21 12:40:47 EDT 2006

Hi -

Sorry if you already read this on the Forum, but...

Earlier this year, I announced the germination of a second Houdini book,
based on the concept of a collection of tips and tricks - the thread was
here:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=5158
<http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=5158>

The original concept was to publish a book right about now, that would
be compatible with Houdini 9. But H9 has moved out into next year, and
meanwhile I had some useful tidbits that relate to 8/8.1, and I thought
- why hold on to them?

So I'm making this shorter version of the book available now, completely
free. You can go here
http://www.lulu.com/content/386002
and get it either as a PDF or (and I think this is pretty slick myself)
you can order it printed and bound. The cost for the printed version is
$6 plus shipping, and I get zip - that is just the cost of printing a 75
page paperback book. If you just want the content, you can download the
PDF (though you do have to register - sorry about that). It's free
because I'm using it as a test run. Think of it as the Open Source
version of the book to come.

This version has 50 "hacks", where the Houdini 9 version will be more
like 200. And since that will be published by an actual for-profit
enterprise, it won't be free. On the other hand, it will be
professionally designed, and thus much better looking. But I think the
concept of publish-on-demand is so compelling, I wanted to do something
using that format. And this is it.

Have fun!

CZ