[Sidefx-houdini-list] render-memory problem

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Aug 8 13:01:01 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 08 August 2006 12:52, Chris AtLee wrote:
> leaving 3GB for the application. So this means that the size of the
> application + libraries + allocated memory can never exceed 3 GB on a
> 32bit linux box.

	You can get around this by setting the mboard BIOS "enable memory mapping",
or something similarly named.  We had to set that here, and it uses all the
memory now.

> As for swapping, if you have a system with 4 GB of RAM and 2 GB of swap,
> you will start swapping once the amount of memory used by your
> applications exceeds 4 GB. This can't happen in a single application
> (since the limit is between 2 and 3 GB per application), but it's pretty
> easy to hit with multiple memory hungry applications.

	My thinking on this has been that you typically *shouldn't* be gobbling up
useful disk space with massive swap partitions.  The only use for swap is to
keep things from crashing when you're pushing your app too hard a lot.
Better solution - buy more memory, stop pushing so hard, set your swap to
half a gig or so.  Sitting there for 15 minutes listening to your hard drive
crunching isn't saving anyone any money, plus there's no guarantee you aren't
going to exceed your swap anyway and still crash.  Most Linux distros
recommend a smaller swap.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada