[Sidefx-houdini-list] autorig+muscles

Joe Drew joe at sidefx.com
Tue Aug 8 12:17:01 EDT 2006

zoran arizanovic wrote:
> I got muscle setup file from exchange.
> I am checking it to see how to set it up on my own.
> what would be procedure later for putting skin over it?
> since muscles are metaballs there could be something like magnet example in
> help.

Zoran, are you using Houdini 8.1? It's got the muscle object built-in,
which is faster than using the asset on the exchange.

To use them, you parent the muscle object to a minimum of two other
objects (usually nulls parented to your bones). Set them all up under
your skin geometry, then type tab > Capture Geometry. In the upper
left-hand corner, you'll see "Capture Type" - change it to Metaball and
then select your skin. Select all your muscles as the capturing muscles.

The process is then the same as with bone capture - Paint Capture Layer,
etc. The main difference with painting is that you can't Ctrl+
middle-click on the muscles to choose them. That's why we added the
Region Selector option to the Paint Capture Layer tool - you can just
brush on the skin to select a colour (which will be displayed in the
viewport), then paint with it.

I should note that we usually turn off the display of muscles after
they're set up, since displaying the metaballs is very slow. Skinning is
quite fast though.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Joe