[Sidefx-houdini-list] Collada Examples with Houdini

Justin Martin justin at dneg.com
Tue Aug 8 10:40:30 EDT 2006

I was trying to play with Collada a while ago for Maya/Houdini
translations and ran into a frustrating wall.  Didn't hear from anyone
on the Forum who has got it working with Linux which is a little worrying.

Houdini seems to be doing the right thing and will read Collada.
Maya wont write Collada out of the box.  You need to go to freesoftware
and download ColladaMaya - if you're on Windows it's an executable, if
you're on Linux you need to download the source and build it.

Pretty annoying when the point is that you could finally move things
between packages without having to build anything - except you do.  It's
quickly fallen into the "look at that when I can twist someone's arm to
build it" basket rather than something that you're up and running with.

Ho hum