[Sidefx-houdini-list] render-memory problem

Mark A. Bolstad mbolstad at arl.army.mil
Fri Aug 4 13:39:43 EDT 2006

Jed Schwartz wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Mark A. Bolstad wrote:
>

>> Are you running 32 or 64-bits?
>
> 32- Originally (jan 06) I set this box up as a 64, but had way too
> many linux sys problems, so we went back to 32-
Interesting, all of my systems are RHEL4 on x86_64 with absolutely on
problems (I have about 30 of them).

>> If 32-bits, see if running 64-bit Houdini on a 64-bit box works.
>>

> Hmm- I thought there was a 2 gig limit with linux 32- (RH E4), a 3 gig
> limit with 64- ??-

Actually, the largest integer you can represent in 32-bits is 2147483648
(2^31), however, if you use unsigned integers than you get full 32 bits
or 4294967296 (2^32). Hence, 4 GB is the largest addressable memory with
32-bit systems. With 64-bits the maximum addressable space is 16
exobytes (kilo-, mega-, giga-, tera-, peta-, exo-)