[Sidefx-houdini-list] RE: Other Linux Options

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Aug 1 10:56:00 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 10:16, Doug Struthers wrote:
> If heat is going to be a problem and it may well be, perhaps I will
> experience young deaths of parts and it is possible that my os problems are
> heat related.

	Yah, that's possible, although I'm not sure if the clock problems would be my
first guess of how it would die.  Board components spontaneously shutting
down or locking up would be more likely.  No question, the longer you run at
80 degrees, the more likely your component life will shrink.

> I keep "feeling" the temperature around the board as well as keeping a
> thermometer above the boards to measure ambient temperature and I think
> they are cool.

	Really, your BIOS temperature readings will be the more relevant and the
thing to keep an eye on.  Room temperature is relevant, but the final measure
of how many pina coladas your cpu is craving will be told by the cpu monitor.
Of course, this means shutting down unless you can find a Linux monitor you
trust.  Pick the worst time of day to try this.

> Under most if not all motherboards there is a metal plate located right
> behind the cpu.  Is that for shielding or for heat dissipation?   I also
> wondered if boards benefit much at all by airflow on the non-component side
> of the motherboard?

	I'm reasonably sure that the vast majority of heat dissipation and direction
is on the component side.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada