[Sidefx-houdini-list] finding nearest and furthest distances

Lucio Flores dogboy_l at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 26 12:44:06 EDT 2005

Which brings up an interesting point... the problem is an object space issue,
VEX operates on points. Wouldn't it be useful to have another VEX geometry
context operating on objects/primitives instead of points?? That would be the
equivalent of the primitive SOP w.r.t. the point SOP. Then you could do object
level things like extrusions, orienting faces, etc.

Just a thought.

--- John Hughes <john.hughes at corefa.com> wrote:

> To get the closest point is easy because there are built-in functions
> to find them.  You could write a small script that ran the nearpoint
> or pointdist functions on each object in the scene using the camera's
> origin as the reference point.
>
> To get the maximum distance you could try taking a bounding box
> of each object and measuring from the camera's origin to each
> corner of the box using the distance function to find the largest value.

Manson: My philosophy is:  Don't think.  I don't believe in the mind that you think with and scheme with.  I don't believe in words.

Reporter: If you don't believe in words, why do you use so many of them?

Manson: Words are symbols.  All I'm doing is jumbling the symbols in your brain.  Everything is symbolic.  Symbols are just connections in your brain.  Even your body is a symbol.