[Sidefx-houdini-list] Re:DOPs and cookie

Dave Nunez nunezd at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 13:47:10 EDT 2005

Hi Larry, I was involved in a similar project before and we ended up
using mayas shatter and lightwaves shatter. Then we exported our
obj(s) and brought the geometry into houdini.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Dave

On 9/16/05, Larry Giunta <larry at gcreativestudios.com> wrote:
> Thanks. I'll give it a go
> --
> Larry Giunta
> Creative Director
> G Creative Studios
> (781)393-0200
> larry at gcreativestudios.com
> www.gcreativestudios.com
>

> On Sep 15, 2005, at 12:57 PM, Lucio Flores wrote:
>

> > You can use DOPS to actually shatter the piece. You'll have to use
> > a SOP solver
> > to reapply the cookie to the same piece of geometry over and over
> > again. Once
> > you have your pieces, then simulate, etc.
> >
> > --- Larry Giunta <larry at gcreativestudios.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> We're using DOPs to shatter some chess pieces
> >> for a promo we're working on. ( DOPs really do seem
> >> very cool!)
> >>
> >> Anyway, we're breaking up the chess pieces
> >> using the cookie SOP. This is definitely proving to be the most
> >> time consuming part of the process  ..... and maybe
> >> the only way. But I'm wondering if there are any suggestions
> >> for other ways to crack up these objects in preparation
> >> for DOPs.
> >>
> >> I thought I remember this coming up a while ago, but
> >> I'm not sure.
> >>
> >> Crunched for time as usual, so any suggestion would be greatly
> >> appreciated.
> >>
> >> Larry

> > Manson: My philosophy is:  Don't think.  I don't believe in the
> > mind that you think with and scheme with.  I don't believe in words.
> >
> > Reporter: If you don't believe in words, why do you use so many of
> > them?
> >
> > Manson: Words are symbols.  All I'm doing is jumbling the symbols
> > in your brain.  Everything is symbolic.  Symbols are just
> > connections in your brain.  Even your body is a symbol.

When things get too complicated, it sometimes makes sense to stop and
wonder: Have I asked the right question?
-Enrico Bombieri