[Sidefx-houdini-list] A Request

Ivan DeWolf ivan at martian-labs.com
Tue Dec 20 14:22:02 EST 2005

I heard a rumor that the lion in narnia was broken into 64 tiles that took six
hours a piece, which would be the longest renders I have heard of.

There was also Hookah, a proprietary (Disney/Secret Lab) particle
animation/rendering system that would animate and render tens of billions of
particles. I heard that most of it was written in perl, although most of the
computation time was taken by the C code. Minimum system requirement was a 4
proc challenge system with 4 gigs of ram, pretty heavy for 1999. Rev Lebaredian
worked on it, it was deserted after Rev came out with Jig, and simple houdini
particles rendered in Jig looked just as good (in a day on a desktop machine).

I rember the satan beast at the end of "end of days" was obsceneley heavy, all
that detail was geometry, not displacements. I don't remember how heavy,
though.

Quoting "Mark A. Bolstad" <mbolstad at arl.army.mil>:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Mark Bolstad, I've been lurking on the list for quite
> sometime, and I occasionally post (with albeit not useful information).
>
> I'm working on my Ph.D in rendering of large models and I'm in the
> processes of putting together my proposal. My request is what are the
> sizes of a typical and largest frame that is rendered? You don't have to
> tie it to any production if you wish. What I'd like is something like:
>
> Frame:
>  Max # Objects
>  Largest Single Model
>  Other Big Data (Textures, ...)
>
> Scene
>  Total Size (in MB, GB, or TB)
>
> If you're procedural generating the data, an estimate of what is
> actually pushed through the renderer would be nice.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mark
>
> FYI, My advisor is Marc Olano (http://www.csee.umbc.edu/~olano/) you can
> find me listed in his CV.