[Sidefx-houdini-list] "Hscript Sop" - workaround ?

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Dec 19 13:29:06 EST 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 13:12, Andrew D Lyons wrote:
> The unix sop will execute a single command using stdin, and expects stdout
> or it fails.
>
> Unfortunately none of the tools I want to call use stdin or stdout. Also, I
> want to manage the process(es) using hscript and perl via Ammon's perl
> interface (Thanks Ammon!)

	This might be one of those things that you need to get rather in-depth with
what exactly you want to do before we all stop asking stupid questions like
the following:  :P

	Does this mean you want to have something that lies "in the pipeline" of
SOPs(specifically) and behaves like a Unix SOP, except they don't happen to
worth with std I/O?  I would think that you could still use this by piping
out to a file then catting it back in(all in the same command call) when
done.  I'll admit I've never tried this but you might want to take a shot.

	However, you also indicate you want to massage things, perhaps getting rather
complicated with some Perl coding.  If you're going that route, couldn't you
do the same thing?  Your Perl code pipes to stdio?

	If that's *not* what you want(in the pipeline, cooked whenever you attempt to
run something down the line), then I would think simply having your Perl
script and letting it "talk" to the Houdini session could work.

	Or, again, I could simply be missing the whole thing.  :)

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada