[Sidefx-houdini-list] hardware innovations

Mark A. Bolstad mbolstad at arl.army.mil
Fri Dec 16 14:20:19 EST 2005

My question is: Do you *really* need the features in a 4500?

We spec'ed out a large graphics cluster (think single system image with
n nodes, each node has dual-core CPU, and two PCIe x16 graphics cards,
where n > 32), and we opted for the GeForce 7800 instead of the 4500.
It's nearly identical in raw performance with greater than 1.5x the
memory bandwidth (33 vs 54) for a third the cost.

This is the only link I can find that actually compares the two cards.
Note that this is on the new Quad Mac and the 7800 isn't the 512 GTX
version.

>From the article (http://www.barefeats.com/quad03.html):

Apple's own test graphs show the Quadro FX 4500 running Motion only 3.3%
faster and Halo only 3.6% faster than the 7800 GT. Yet it costs 3.7
times as much ($350 vs $1650). True the FX 4500 has 512MB of DDR3 and
supports two 30" Cinema displays, but it "eats" two slots.

COUNTERPOINT: A QUADRO FX 4500 MAY BE WORTH THE $$$
One of our readers (Mark Wilkins) reminded us that the Quadro has
additional features that are not present on either GeForce card. These
include hardware support for anti-aliased points and lines, accelerated
clip planes, and two-sided lighting -- features important to advanced
design and visualization applications. It also has an integrated stereo
3D port. For those users who are considering the purchase to run
software like Maya, the Quadro may well be worth the extra money.

---

Also, consider talking with a vendor and see if they'll let you run
side-by-side tests.

Mark