[Sidefx-houdini-list] hardware innovations

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Fri Dec 16 12:36:56 EST 2005

> So is the graphics card in this package overkill-?

Right now, probably. In a year or so, maybe not. Hard to say... I
usually buy the 2nd or 3rd best card in the lineup, since the markup on
the performance leader is huge, and the different is often not very
noticeable.

The other thing to be aware of is heat. The 2 252 Opterons run at 92W
apiece, the Quadro 4500 is rated at 110W, and high-performance hard
drives like the 74Mb WD Raptor you have produce quite a bit of heat when
active. High-performance memory produces a little heat too, and you've
got a lot of it. The power supply you'll need for all this will also
generate quite a bit. You truly could make your coffee on this rig :)

To combat heat buildup, if you can get a spacious aluminum case with
several fan headers, you'll have fewer headaches in the future. They're
more expensive (around $150-200), but they pay off quickly by keeping
your components cool (so they last longer). The higher quality cases
often have larger fans (the 6" variety) which move more air and do so
more quietly than the smaller PC fans.

Just thought I'd mention it as the case often gets overlooked in a big
purchase. I bought one for my latest rig and not only is it shiny &
pretty, but cool & quiet as well.

M.