[Sidefx-houdini-list] hardware innovations

Peter Robbinson probbins at corefa.com
Wed Dec 14 11:22:19 EST 2005

I'd aim for stability over speed. You waste way more time with crashing
hardware and software than you do somewhat slower screen refreshes.

Directors are always going to find ways to choke the workflow to a
crawl, no matter how fast your machines are.

I'm looking towards off-loading as much of the work onto other hardware
and keeping my workstations for the immediate work at hand.
So, moving as much processing to the graphics card and finding the most
efficient ways of sending renders to a farm.

Part of my consideration have to do with power consumption as well, it's
only going to get more expensive.
Much of the work we do doesn't require a crt screen, so I'd shift to
flat screens. Many machines don't necessarily have to be
big iron power monsters, so I'm looking at desktop machines like the
ShuttleX.

PeterR