[Sidefx-houdini-list] hardware innovations

Dan Seddon dan.seddon at framestore-cfc.com
Wed Dec 14 10:56:07 EST 2005

John Coldrick wrote:

>On Wednesday 14 December 2005 10:23, Jed Schwartz wrote:
>

>>I'm finding with the latest houdini builds (especially running
>>elaborate DOPs simulations-etc) I'm spending more and more time
>>waiting for things to cook- What is the best overall recipe for a
>>high- performance "houdini" system. Are the duel core processors a
>>huge advantage to sys performance beyond render-?
>>

>	Only with compositing.  AFAIK none of the other parts of Houdini are
>multithreaded except for mantra.  Certainly DOPs won't speed up.  Personally,

Yeah - I've been wondering about that, it seems that Intel an AMDs
strategys are to go towards multicore processors in the future, as they
reach the upper limit on what they can raise clock speeds to. Which
sounds really bad for packages like Houdini, which aren't multithreaded,
as I gather it's very difficult migrate parts of the application towards
being multithreaded - especially solvers, which you'd really hope would
get faster as time goes on..... Looks like long nights are here to stay!

Dan