[Sidefx-houdini-list] hardware innovations

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Wed Dec 14 10:39:57 EST 2005

On Wednesday 14 December 2005 10:23, Jed Schwartz wrote:
> I'm finding with the latest houdini builds (especially running
> elaborate DOPs simulations-etc) I'm spending more and more time
> waiting for things to cook- What is the best overall recipe for a
> high- performance "houdini" system. Are the duel core processors a
> huge advantage to sys performance beyond render-?

	Only with compositing.  AFAIK none of the other parts of Houdini are
multithreaded except for mantra.  Certainly DOPs won't speed up.  Personally,
I'd still prefer a dual cpu over a dual core for now when running in a *grid*
shop, specifically, where your spare cpu handles all the secondary tasks
you're doing, or outside rendering, and makes the overall interactivity very,
very snappy.  Dual core isn't the same as dual cpu, but of course it beats a
single single-core cpu.  :)

	Now, once those dual-dual core systems come into a good price
range...whoopee!  :)

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada