[Sidefx-houdini-list] FlipBookCrash

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Mon Dec 12 14:55:15 EST 2005

Hi Jed,

Which version of houdini did you upgrade from? A 7.x or 8.0.x?

Also, I can't find a match for an HP Zd7000 on the web. Do you happen to
know what video card is in your laptop, and whether it's AGP or PCI-e?
And what driver version you're using?

If it's an Nvidia card, there's a long, long list of people having X
freezes and reboots with Nvidia AGP cards and Linux. Unfortunately, it
seems to be based on system config (hardware and OS), and some fixes
have worked for some people, but not others.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=14

I'm not suggesting you read the entire forum, but there may be some
relevant topics there.

If it's an ATI card, well, good luck, cause they're generally worse.
Their OpenGL support is traditionally sub-par, though they've been
recently improving it (Catalyst 5.x drivers).

I've personally had my system occasionally freeze when mplay exits
(QuadroFX 1000, 7174 drivers, Debian Linux 2.6.11). But there's nothing
in the X log of interest, nor can I analyze any cores or processes since
the system has hung. I've tried a variety of theoretical fixes with zero
effect. If this is happening to you, let me know your system config, and
maybe that'll give me another idea.

Cheers,
M.