[Sidefx-houdini-list] FlipBookCrash

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Dec 12 13:31:57 EST 2005

On Monday 12 December 2005 12:18, Jed Schwartz wrote:
> Yea, I think its time to consider updating to a fresh version of linux--
>
> Any suggestions-?

	Well, even going with a more recent RH would be an improvement.  I'm hesitant
to point existing RH users to something other than that unless they really
have no other systems to worry about(common setups, etc), but assuming that's
not the case, I'm a big SUSE fan.  Easiest to install that I've seen.  Peter
mentions Ubuntu - that's another very fast-growing distro that's acquired a
lot of good word-of-mouth recently.  Must check it out, sometime, although
we're all SUSE 10 here and I'm loathe to mix unless I have to.

	RH Fedora Core(I think FC3 is most stable recent, although not sure about
FC4) is certainly fine, but I went through years of hacking RH to get it to
do what I wanted.  Nothing much seems to have changed - much of the install
scripts still have annoying gotchas, I still read about things that need
manual hacking that I remember doing years ago.  SUSE was an incredibly
refreshing change.  It just works.  Huge software bundle.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada