[Sidefx-houdini-list] FlipBookCrash

Jed Schwartz jed at jedschwartz.com
Mon Dec 12 12:18:38 EST 2005

Thanks John,

The only thing I did change on the system was to load up
  build H 8.0.423 -- which runs fine on the desktops in the studio
and other than flip booking, it runs great on the laptop to-

Yea, I think its time to consider updating to a fresh version of linux--

Any suggestions-?

On Dec 12, 2005, at 10:32 AM, John Coldrick wrote:

> On Friday 09 December 2005 21:03, Jed Schwartz wrote:
>
>> I don't believe this is a Houdini issue so much as a linux problem.
>>
>> When I try to generate a flipbook on my laptop (HP zd7000) RH9 gnome
>> I crash out of x-windows to a command prompt. The error message is
>> something like :
>>
>> "the application 'rhn-applet' lost its connection to the display:0.0;
>> most likely the x server was shut down or you killed/destroyed the
>> application"
>>

>     Yah, that's probably just a side effect of X crashing.  That's
> not a good
> thing, typically X crashing is driver related.  Not really sure how
> the
> system can suddenly become unstable without anything being changed
> - you sure
> you didn't install new drivers or system software?  You might get
> some clues
> in /var/log - maybe the XFree86 log in there might give some clues.
>
>     Not sure about all the variables but if it comes down to it,
> you might want
> to consider a more recent distro of linux.  RH9 is pretty dog-eared
> and I was
> personally never very happy with it becoming a milestone release.
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     J.C.
>
> --
> John Coldrick                  www.axyzfx.com        Axyz Animation
> 416-504-0425                                         425 Adelaide St W
>                                                      Toronto, ON
> Canada
> jc at axyzfx.com                                        M5V 1S4
> -
> No animal should ever jump on the dining room furniture unless
> absolutely certain he can hold his own in conversation.
>         -- Fran Lebowitz

Jed Schwartz
Creative Director
Jed Schwartz Productions