[Sidefx-houdini-list] FlipBookCrash

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Mon Dec 12 10:32:35 EST 2005

On Friday 09 December 2005 21:03, Jed Schwartz wrote:
> I don't believe this is a Houdini issue so much as a linux problem.
>
> When I try to generate a flipbook on my laptop (HP zd7000) RH9 gnome
> I crash out of x-windows to a command prompt. The error message is
> something like :
>
> "the application 'rhn-applet' lost its connection to the display:0.0;
> most likely the x server was shut down or you killed/destroyed the
> application"

	Yah, that's probably just a side effect of X crashing.  That's not a good
thing, typically X crashing is driver related.  Not really sure how the
system can suddenly become unstable without anything being changed - you sure
you didn't install new drivers or system software?  You might get some clues
in /var/log - maybe the XFree86 log in there might give some clues.

	Not sure about all the variables but if it comes down to it, you might want
to consider a more recent distro of linux.  RH9 is pretty dog-eared and I was
personally never very happy with it becoming a milestone release.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

                                                     Toronto, ON Canada