[Sidefx-houdini-list] rib archives in sops

justin martin justin.martin at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Dec 5 07:24:58 EST 2005

Hi,

I've been using something very similar to what Peter suggest below for a
while and it works fine in prman.  An AttribCreate sop setting
"instance" to point to objects in your hip that have delayed readarchive
setup.  The main object has point instancing turned on.

`chsop("../allInstances")`/`points("../INSTANCE_NAME", 0,
"instanceName")`_`padzero(2, $VARIANT)`

No frame variables needed for what I'm doing but it's the same thing.
So I just have points and use copy/stamp to define which instance is
copied to each one.

A nice bonus is that you can use another attribCreate with "scale" (3
floats) to modify the instance scales independently in x, y, z - instead
of just pscale (1 float).