[Sidefx-houdini-list] rib archives in sops

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 03:07:02 EST 2005

Hi Colin,
    I think you want to add an "instance" attribute with
AttributeCreate at the SOP level, then use the usual tricks when you
define it to randomize the string that is created. I don't use PRman
so I'm not 100% sure that this will work, but I'm reasonably sure it
will. I suspect the string would look like:

/path/something_`ceil(fit(rand($PT),0,1,1,10))`.$F.rib or something
like that. Then turn on Point Instancing on that object. Again, I know
this will work for Mantra but I am not so sure for PRman. Especially
the reading of the archive like that. If you have 10 Houdini Objects
each reading the archive then this is more likely to work.

Cheers,

Peter B