[Sidefx-devkit-list] HOM<->C++: getting to OP_Node* and gdp

Steve Gustafson sgustafso at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 19:09:24 EDT 2010

Hey there. I'm currently trying to wrap my head around the C++<->HOM bridge.
Specifically, I want to be able to write new HOM extensions with methods
that accept, say, a HOM_Node object, and get to the underling OP_Node from
that. Same for HOM_Geometry and getting to the underlying GU_Detail.

ObjNode_setSelectable from the HOM samples shows a wrapper method for
getting to an OBJ_Node for a given HOM_Node, by using the HOM_Node's path()
method to get the full path of the node, and then passing that through the
OP_Director to find the actual object itself. This works, but I'm hoping for
something a little more...direct? Greping through the HOM sources, though,
I'm not seeing any sort of direct bridge between the two. The
HOM_Node/HOM_SopNode/etc. sources don't seem to have any methods referring
to OP_Node whatsoever - and same for all other methods. Is HOM totally
isolated from the HDK, except through OP_Director hacks?

Anyone on the list have a good handle on how to work between the python and
c++ apis?

Thanks