MSVCDIR env var on XP

Mark Story mstory at xion.org
Fri Sep 26 12:42:32 EDT 2003

Hi,

Is something different about the way the MSVCDIR environment variable
handled on XP vs. WIN2K or NT?   It works fine on WIN2k for me, but I
just bought a machine with XP-Pro, set all the env vars, ran
makeheaders, etc., confirmed the env vars a billion times ... but I
still get an error when trying to execute hcustom.

hcustom says the following:

 > hcustom
The MSVCDir environment variable is set, but does not point to the
directory that contains the MSVC include files.  Please set it
correctly and try again.

Yet, I can cd into $MSVCDIR and ls the contents using this env var, so
it's not making sense of why hcustom is unhappy.

Here's what it's set to:
 > echo $MSVCDIR
C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~4\VC98\INCLUDE

Any hints?