Custom SOP questions

Stuart Ramsden Stuart.Ramsden at anu.edu.au
Sun Feb 18 19:08:26 EST 2001

Hi Devkit-ers,

I have a few basic questions about Custom Sops;

a) Is there a simple way to MERGE the geometry from two gdp's, or
do I have to loop over all the primitive/points of one and add each in
turn to the other?

b) I want to create some geometry to be used for aligning (via
GU_AlignParams), but not to be output in the resulting gdp - is
there a way to create geometry NOT associated with a gdp? Or do
I just put it in its own group and delete it before the end?

c) I am trying to do succesive clips with the GQ_Detail clip function. I can
do a single clip, but If I do two in a row, houdini crashes. Is this a bug, or
expected behaviour?
eg.

This works;
	    gqd = new GQ_Detail(gdp);
	    gqd->clip(a_normal, 0, 0);
	    gdp = gqd->getGdp();
	    delete gqd;

This doesn't;
	    gqd = new GQ_Detail(gdp);
	    gqd->clip(a_normal, 0, 0);
	    gqd->clip(b_normal, 0, 0);
	    gdp = gqd->getGdp();
	    delete gqd;

But if I convert back to a gdp in between, it works;

	    gqd = new GQ_Detail(gdp);
	    gqd->clip(a_normal, 0, 0);
	    gdp = gqd->getGdp();
	    delete gqd;
	    gqd = new GQ_Detail(gdp);
	    gqd->clip(b_normal, 0, 0);
	    gdp = gqd->getGdp();
	    delete gqd;

I imagine there is an overhead in building the quadedge structure from
scratch over and over, so I thought this was overkill, especially as I
need to do this clipping more than twice.

Thanks,

Stu.

--
 Stuart Ramsden <Stuart.Ramsden at anu.edu.au>